• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scrat9518
    3Dflower
    • Jan 2018

Struggling to Complete First Tutorial

Hi all,

I've been following the first tutorial (https://www.3dflow.net/technology/do...ls-3df-zephyr/), and I seem to be unable to get past Step 3c (Reconstruction). It looks like my machine makes it through the entire process (5/5 steps complete), but at the last moment it crashes.

Here are the details of my system:

ASUS G75V Laptop (8-core Intel i7 3630QM, 16 GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 670M 3 GB)
    Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
    3DF Zephyr Lite (Trial, running under Wine 3.0-rc4)
    CUDA disabled (in spite of CUDA being installed ...?)

I have uploaded the most recent crash dump here: https://ufile.io/9qetm

I'm really not sure how to proceed. I don't know how to read the crash dump; otherwise, I would have probably found an error message that I could work with. What's particularly confusing to me is that it crashes only after doing what seems to be all of the hard work of reconstruction. Maybe it's crashing because it can't render the sparse point cloud for some reason?

I should mention that I took the advice of the tutorial and just used the default settings. I took a look at the advanced settings in the reconstruction phase, and I can't see any settings that I think would make any difference to this problem (though I could certainly be wrong).

I would really appreciate some help on this from anyone who might be able to provide it. Thank you,

BMG
  • Andrea Alessi
    3Dflow Staff
    • Oct 2013

Hi scrat,

although we do not officially support Zephyr running on wine, i'll do my best to assist

Is the cuda toolkit installed as well?
    sudo apt-get install nvidia-cuda-toolkit should be enough. I also used the wine-staging ppa, if that helps. Here is a small tutorial i wrote a while ago, not sure if this helps

How to run 3DF Zephyr on Linux using Wine Albeit this is – sadly – not an officially supported mode (which means we do not guarantee that Zephyr will always work with new versions and that we can not give … Read More

Can you please also post the log file? This may be more helpful than the dump file alone. You can find them in the %appdata% folder (which is probably under your ~/.wine/drive_c/ directory under linux)

Come trovare i file di log di 3DF Zephyr Ci vogliono pochi click per trovare i file di log. Assicurati ti inviarci i log file rilevanti (o di postare le parti del log interessate nel nostro forum) se hai domande … Continua a leggere

While you debug, i suggest you simply use a toy dataset (i.e. a subset like the first 4 or 5 photos, so you don't lose time reconstructing the full dataset).

When you open zephyr can you see the grid with 3Dflow's logo on it? If so, i don't think it's a rendering issue.

Comment

• scrat9518
      3Dflower
      • Jan 2018

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

Is the cuda toolkit installed as well?
      I'm pretty sure I've already installed this. To confirm, I ran
      Code:
      sudo apt-get install nvidia-cuda-toolkit
      anyway and got
      Code:
      nvidia-cuda-toolkit is already the newest version (7.5.18-0ubuntu1).
      as a response (among other things, of course). I also ran
      Code:
      nvcc --version
      , which returned

Code:
      nvcc: NVIDIA (R) Cuda compiler driver
      Copyright (c) 2005-2015 NVIDIA Corporation
      Built on Tue_Aug_11_14:27:32_CDT_2015
      Cuda compilation tools, release 7.5, V7.5.17
      so it looks like CUDA is at least installed. Based on my system settings, the proprietary driver is in use, and I have rebooted at least once since I installed CUDA. Weirdly, Zephyr still doesn't recognize that CUDA is installed and my graphics card exists, but I suspect that this is unrelated to my larger problem. (?)

Can you please also post the log file?
      Sure, here you go: https://ufile.io/9m17y

i suggest you simply use a toy dataset (i.e. a subset like the first 4 or 5 photos, so you don't lose time reconstructing the full dataset)
      This is a good tip; I'll be sure to do that.

When you open zephyr can you see the grid with 3Dflow's logo on it?
      Yes, when I open Zephyr I see the main window as well as a small rendered output containing the grid and logo you mentioned.

Comment

• Andrea Alessi
        3Dflow Staff
        • Oct 2013

Hi Scrat,

the latest zephyr version requires cuda 8, so try updating it to the latest version available, that should do the trick. Apparently on 16.04 the latest available from the repo is 7.5, so either download it as standalone package https://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-downloads or try looking for an external ppa.

As a simple test out of curiosity, could you try an earlier version to see if it crashes as well? i.e. 3.142 ? You can download it from https://www.3dflow.net/3df-zephyr-lite-download-page/

Since you can see the grid, i don't think this is a rendering issue at all (in fact it's still processing when it crashed). Maybe try playing with virtual memory settings? Just a guess!

Comment

• scrat9518
          3Dflower
          • Jan 2018

Thanks again for the help.

I tried an older version as you suggested, and I was able to successfully complete the tutorial. (!) I still have questions for you (or anyone else), but at the moment I'm having separate trouble with my laptop's charging cable and transformer, so I probably won't be able to respond in full for a few days.

Comment

• scrat9518
            3Dflower
            • Jan 2018

One Amazon order later, I'm back in business. So far, no electrical fires.

So somehow version 3.142 works fine, but more recent versions don't. For the moment, I guess that's okay with me, but I am still a little confused about it.

Here are the crash dump and log from my most recent attempt on version 3.503:

Crash dump: https://ufile.io/ii1mt
            Log: https://ufile.io/7z4iu

If you or anyone else has any ideas, then I'd love to hear them.

Maybe try playing with virtual memory settings?
            How do I go about doing that? (That is, if you think it's worth trying.)

Comment

• Andrea Alessi
              3Dflow Staff
              • Oct 2013

I can't verify right now but i'm pretty sure 3.142 used cuda 7.5, so it makes sense that you can use cuda with that and not with 3.503

The latest version will also tend to strain your hardware a little more as we have done a lot of performance improvements. You could try putting it under a stress test and see if there is something hardware related (for example the PSU?). Just throwing a few ideas out there.

Just a test, could you try switching to the advanced mode and use the incremental reconstruction engine rather than the global one?

As for the virtual memory, it depends how you set up your linux box, have a look at mkswap and swapon. How big is your swap partition / swap file ? (a swap partition is not needed since a few years, but you should check how big is your virtual memory swap file. You can change it with swapon as well). Make sure it's big enough.

Comment

• metty
                Blossoming 3Dflower
                • Oct 2020

https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu

Code:
                [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000]nvcc --version [/COLOR]
                nvcc: NVIDIA (R) Cuda compiler driver
                Copyright (c) 2005-2019 NVIDIA Corporation
                Built on Sun_Jul_28_19:07:16_PDT_2019
                Cuda compilation tools, release 10.1, V10.1.243[/FONT]
                Code:
                [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000]wine -version  [/COLOR]
                002c:fixme:winediag:LdrInitializeThunk wine-staging 5.18 is a testing version containing experimental patches.
                002c:fixme:winediag:LdrInitializeThunk Please mention your exact version when filing bug reports on winehq.org.
                0024:err:module:process_init L"C:\\windows\\system32\\-version.exe" not found[/FONT]
                Does anyone have an idea what the problem might be?

Comment

• Andrea Alessi
                  3Dflow Staff
                  • Oct 2013

Unfortunatley linux is not officially supported. I don't think it has been been recently tested with 5.x, so you should probably either run 3DF Zephyr in windows or try our GNU linux native SDK https://www.3dflowengine.com/

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎