What file formats are supported for laser scanning?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mino
    3Dfollower
    • Aug 2020

What file formats are supported for laser scanning?

In order to get used to Zephyr, I installed the free version of Zephyr the other day and challenged the photogrammetry of some items.
    I'm surprised that a 3d model are created to be similar to the real items only from the photos, but I am feeling some dissatisfaction.
    For example, when modeling a cookie package box, the original flat surface has irregularities, and the outer rectangular shape has collapsed. ( The items I'm targeting are small ones, like a cookie package box.)
    And the letters are blurry (this may be solved by installing the paid version and adding a lot of enlarged photos).
    Regarding the former problem of " collapsed shape", take the outline data with 3d laser scan, transfer the outline data to Zephyr, and paste the texture created by Zephyr from the photograph to the outline data.
    I think we can create a model that is closer to the real items by this way.
    As I don't own a 3d laser scanner, I'm thinking of requesting a laser scan from a trader, but the answer from the trader is that the output data will be stl files.
    I read Zephyr's English tutorial and confirmed that ply files and the native format files (Faro (.fls, .flw) ,RIEGL (.rdbx) ,Dot Product (.dp) and Z+F (.zfs) ) are supported.
    But what about stl files? (What other file formats are supported?)

There are many other things I would like to know, but could you please urgently teach me about this matter?

(I'm new to English, so maybe I didn't realize that the answer was written in a place where I could easily see it. Or maybe I just don't know how to find it. )
  • cam3d
    3Dflover
    • Sep 2017

Hi mino - Welcome

If you are dissatisfied with your results from photographs using 3DF Zephyr, please feel free to share the photographs with us so we can give you some in-depth feedback on how to improve your image acquisition and subsequently the 3D results you will get!

Are the letters blurry on your cookie package box in any of the photographs you took? If not, it might be that the cameras in your scene have not oriented correctly and need some adjustment for a better outcome. There are a lot of variables to consider, so sharing the photographs and any Zephyr project files (.ZEP) which you are having trouble with will help inform our response

You can certainly combine third party laser scans with photogrammetry in Zephyr, however, this functionality is not available in the LITE/FREE versions of 3DF Zephyr, only the full version (either monthly subscription or a perpetual license) - If you want to try the full version of 3DF Zephyr you can do so by following this link and filling in the application form: https://www.3dflow.net/3df-zephyr-ev...download-page/

It seems strange that STL is the output data format for the 3D laser scanner - STL is more of a finishing format than a format you want to be working with. STL files don't have scale information and their units are arbitrary. There are a lot of different laser scanning systems available, and a lot of different formats Zephyr and import/export (including STL):

Here is a list of compatible mesh import file types:

*.ply
    *.dp
    *.ive
    *.osgb
    *.fbx
    *.x3a
    *.las
    *.ptx
    *.txt
    *.obj
    *.e57
    *.collada
    *.xml
    *.dae
    *.stl
    Points (*.pts)
    Coordinates (*.xyz)
    FARO Laser Scanner (*.fls)
    FARO Workspace (*.fws)
    Zoller + Frohlich Scan (*.zfs)
    *.rdb
    Riegl Scan (*.rdbx)
    Dot Product Scan (*.dp)
    *.ive

*.osgb
    *.fbx
    X3a Archive files (*.x3a)

I hope this is helpful!

Comment

• mino
      3Dfollower
      • Aug 2020

Thank you, cam3d.

First of all, I'd like to ask the trader who does 3d scanning if it can output in some of the file formats of your answer.
      (Many formats are supported, so I think some are relevant.)

I tried to attach photos and ZEP file, but the size seem to be too large (both 100MB or more), then error message was displayed.
      What should I do?

Comment

• Andrea Alessi
        3Dflow Staff
        • Oct 2013

hi mino,

please notice that Zephyr Free and Zephyr Lite cannot export point clouds. In any case yes, most of those formats are supported.

Please share your dataset to support@3dflow.net using any third party service e.g. wetransfer, or send an email with a public dropbox link, public gdrive link, etc

Comment

• mino
          3Dfollower
          • Aug 2020

Hi cam3d,

Instead of big size dataset, I attached a few small size data (screenshots and photos).
          Do you get an image with these??(I hope you'll say Yes...)
          If not enough, please tell me.

From the screenshots, I think the problem of "collapsed shape" is easy to realize.
          Regarding the blurring of the letters...
          To say annoying things, for example, the letter on the top of the BOX, barcode number, and some of fine letters are blurred.
          (If you think I should endure this much, please say so.)

Thank you, Andrea

However, I haven't used any third party service that you taught me (it's the first time I heard about these service), so I can't send dataset immediately. (Please give me time to study about them.)
          Attached Files

Comment

• mino
            3Dfollower
            • Aug 2020

I found the number of attached files is limited to 5, so I attached the photos here.
            Attached Files

Comment

• Andrea Alessi
              3Dflow Staff
              • Oct 2013

Hi mino,

it's okay to take a couple of loops like that, to help with orientation, however do not move the subject or you will have to move the degrees wheel alongside your subject.

moreover, you are using about 10% of the image with your subject, so try to take pictures of your subject much closer in addition to those "general" pictures of your subject.

Comment

• mino
                3Dfollower
                • Aug 2020

Comment

• mino
                  3Dfollower
                  • Aug 2020

Sorry

my former message has some garbled text ("?" characters).

I'll rewrite it, and post it soon.

Comment

• mino
                    3Dfollower
                    • Aug 2020

Comment

• Andrea Alessi
                      3Dflow Staff
                      • Oct 2013

Hi mino,

yes, you are describing your subject with a very far shot so by shooting closer you will get better result. Use a tripod, good lighitng, and a long exposure shot in order to get very sharp and clear images.

You can of course use laser scan as geometry and use the photos only for coloring. See here an example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oT0C...ture=emb_title

Comment

• mino
                        3Dfollower
                        • Aug 2020

Thank you
                        I'm sure this video will help me when I shift to the paid version in the near future.
                        But to tell the truth, the mouse pointer's movement is too fast for me and I don't have the listening skills to hear the video.
                        Please excuse me for asking, but
                        Do you have an English script for the voice of the video?
                        Or is there a tutorial that explains the same thing as this video?

By the way,
                        I received a reply from the trader who does 3d scanning about the output file format, but all I got was a sad reply for me that it is only in STL format.
                        So my question is: in tutorial A07 the file format of the laser scan is PLY, but even if it were in STL format, would I still be able to do the exact same job and get the same output?

Comment

• cam3d
                          3Dflover
                          • Sep 2017

mino We have a lot of useful documentation which can be found here: https://www.3dflow.net/technology/do...documentation/ -

Regarding laser scans specifically check out this article: https://www.3dflow.net/zephyr-doc/en...istration.html

Comment

• mino
                            3Dfollower
                            • Aug 2020

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            😂
                            🥰
                            😘
                            🤢
                            😎